Sunday, January 4, 2009

A sincere thank you to Kathy Sue for encouraging me to set up this blog.  Her friendship, humor and good heart always inspire me.  After enjoying so many other blogs, mainly those that share decorating inspiration, I have finally decided to do a bit of sharing myself...

My home was built in 1873.  It has been a tremendous source of enjoyment as well as work over the years.  We have lived here for over 20 years and I imagine we will be its caretaker for sometime to come.   The pictures I have posted  are of my back garden and were taken in the Fall. The Heritage Oak  is estimated to be over 250 years old.  It is the focal point of the yard and one of the many reasons why we fell in love with this house in the first place.  Many of the oak leaves are down now.  (It is a tremendous amount of work at this time of year.)  We have a Koi pond that my son and husband dug many years ago.  It has remained one of my husbands favorite feature of the garden.  

As with most gardens, it is a work in progress.  Always growing, changing and evolving with the years and the seasons.  Over the last few years I have added many of the boxwoods.  I love them.  I love the more formal look they give the garden.  I also love that they remind me of Williamsburg Virginia - a favorite place of mine.  

Happy New Year to all!  I look forward to posting more pictures soon.  

6 comments:

  1. Paula, I am honored to have been mentioned and also to be your first commentor.For those who have not seen your wonderful home and garden they are in for a real treat.The pictures only show a smidgen of the beauty.Your yard is like a lovely park and one that someone would love strolling through or just sitting and enjoying the view, the sound of the waterfall and fountains and looking at all the birds and squirels playing.I can't wait to see more.Happy New Year to you and your wonderful, beautiful family. Hugs, Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are one lucky lady to have Kathsue as your friend! :-) Thanks Kathysue for telling me about Paula new blog...looking forward to seeing more of her beautiful home! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. Your grounds are beautiful with all the interesting statuary.
    I look forward to seeing more, both outside and hopefully inside. I love to look at old homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to blogging! I am fairly new and it is a great experience. Your garden pictures are just great and I really hope you'll show us pictures of your house too! I grew up in the Williamsburg/Yorktown area...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Kathysue thought I would love your blog! And I can see she's gonna be right! Actually never doubted it for a second!*winks* That gal has amazing taste! I am a former antiques dealer and intense lover of old houses...although I live in a newer one *sighs* So I can hardly wait to see your wonderful old house! Welcome to blogville! (I'm a newbie too) I think you'll love it! There are so many wonderful people! And that lovely statue of a lady and her lamb...needs to come visit me!! *winks* Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! I am so glad Kathysue send me here..I also live in Calif and love all things victorian..I will add you to my follower list..Welcome to Blogland you'll have a great time here..I just love it been doing it for 3 months now...Please come by for a visit and if I can help you with any thing please let mw know..Good luck hugs and smiles Gloria

    ReplyDelete